Thursday, September 10, 2009

Crutch Potluck


Quiche is a crutch food for me. Somewhere along the line I learned that I could make it for any occasion; formal or casual, sit-down or buffet. And then eat it again for breakfast the next morning. And again for lunch. Here are the baby quiches that I made to eat with soup for dinner last night. Isn't that the most ridiculously wussy thing you've ever heard? The laziness must stop here.

I propose a crutch potluck. If you think of an easy, versatile food that you make entirely too often, share it in the comments. This will encourage us to try other peoples' crutches, thereby relying less on our own crutches, thereby eliminating them as crutches, thereby being less wussy. Hooray!

P.S. Oh yeah, the recipe... You know how to make quiche, right? Just use a muffin tin instead. And don't cook it quite as long.


Beat the eggs. Whip the cream. Show no mercy.


3 comments:

Speakeasy, that's who. said...

Pumpkin pie. I will stretch that shit out until January after we make it on Thanksgiving. Probably not what most folks would think of as "versatile," but then I'm the guy who thinks Guinness is a meal.

Unknown said...

Tacos. Face, tongue, and more tacos.

Copy Ranter said...

I don't know if I have any recipes that fit your definition of crutch food, but I do have a couple standbys. Standbys are foods I frequently make when entertaining or when I need to bring something to a party but only realize that an hour or so before it needs to come out of the oven.

My trusty oven-baked spinach artichoke dip with water chestnuts for crunch and cream cheese for dense, savory goodness. It's served all warm and gooey from the oven and the crisp snap of water chestnuts makes it a texture-filled dream.

Also I have my seafood salsa, made with salad shrimp, crabmeat, fresh peppers, vinegar, basil and a bunch of other yummy stuff.

My mother makes a killer tomato basil salad that consists mostly of basil leaves and some sweet grape tomatoes that have been brined like a ceviche in citrus and vinegar for a really fresh, summery side dish.