Friday, September 18, 2009

Salt, Books, and Pineapples (Not a Recipe)


Did I neglect to mention that I live in an unmatched subtropical paradise? This pic was taken in the town where I was raised, about an hour's drive from where I currently reside. Go ahead, it's okay to be jealous (all two of you who aren't also Floridians).

I started thinking the other day about how to include "extras" like sugar and salt in a local diet and discovered that, according to numerous amateurs with internet access, making one's own sea salt is a snap. It's just filter and boil; ba-da-bang, ba-da-boom. Apparently it takes about 2 liters to make 6 oz., so for my test run, the contents of this 32 oz. pistachio container should suffice.


In case you were worried about me wasting an hour's worth of gas to make this trip for a few lousy ounces of salt, I was in town visiting my mom anyway, so ha.

Results will be in by this weekend. Stay tuned!

In other news, I'm excited that I didn't have to wait for Christmas to pick up these books.


The Urban Homestead by Kelly Coyne and Erik Knutzen, and Toolbox for Sustainable City Living by Scott Kellogg and Stacy Pettigrew. Both are available on Amazon if you'd like to read along with me. Book reviews imminent.

Now I leave you with this picture of a pineapple I brought to Green Flamingo yesterday for planting.


Mmm, pineapple. I even brought it in the box that the books came in, since Liz and Mary spread flattened boxes underneath their soil to keep weeds from coming through. So I am already developing more of a waste-not-want-not mentality. Go me!!

If you have an inspiring true DIY story about farming/gardening, home saltmaking, urban homesteading, or anything else you'd like me to share, please let me know. Also, starting next Friday, I will be paying tribute to a Chickenless Cook of the Week. Despite the name, this honor may go to any non-celebrity engaged in any food-related profession or hobby who demonstrates a healthy sense of adventure. I said this blog would not follow a single diet philosophy, and I stick by that; so don't be afraid to email me suggestions for non-locavores. Anyone who uses food to make you go, "Yowza!" is eligible.

Now quit reading and go cook something already.


Beat the eggs. Whip the cream. Show no mercy.


1 comment:

Copy Ranter said...

This is actually my kind of food blog! Finally, a food blog from my friends that i actually want to read! Hehe

Want to help me figure out how to make my own cheeses? I'm thinking I'll try ricotta first.