Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Baba Ganoush Floridian with Black-Eyed Peas and Rosa Bianca Eggplant


I am happy to report that one of the main components of this dip/spread, the rosa bianca eggplant, was purchased at my farmers' market from a grower out of Lake Wales (approximately forty-five-minutes from my Orlando home). The black-eyed peas, however, I am not sure about. I bought them at Publix, which is one of the most popular grocery chains down here in the Southeast. The label claimed they were "distributed by Publix Supermarkets/Lakeland, FL." On the one hand, there is a good possibility that they were grown in Lakeland; many of the chain's generic products are. But if they weren't... do I really want to support that kind of local-washing? Not to mention the fact that Publix is a far-reaching corporation; a shopper in Tennessee can purchase the very same beans that I can. Which I definitely don't support. When you spend money on produce, it should go back into your community, not into the pocket of a CEO thousands of miles from you.

The only sure way to avoid inadvertently contributing your dollars to this practice is to grow it your damned self. My husband and I have decided on a tentative design for our backyard garden, which is based on the mandala model he read about in The Permaculture Home Garden by Linda Woodrow. However, it will also make use of aquaponics, a principle we are currently learning from Toolbox for Sustainable City Living, which I mentioned a few days ago in this post. (So far it's a fascinating read... will have the book review up soon!)

I cannot tell you how badly I am geeking out over this. Someday soon I will be using my own black-eyed peas in this recipe. No more dependence on big chains. No more wussiness. Only tasty, tasty baba ganoush.

Baba Ganoush Floridian with Black-Eyed Peas and Rosa Bianca Eggplant

Ingredients

1 medium rosa bianca eggplant, cubed
1 1/2 c. fresh or reconstituted dried black-eyed peas
1 large or 2 small cloves garlic, pressed
1 Tbsp. tahini
1/3 c. plain yogurt (whole milk or oikos)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Salt to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 425. Salt eggplant cubes and roast in a single layer on a nonstick surface for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, simmer the black-eyed peas in water or stock over medium heat until soft. They should be done around the same time as the eggplant. Let both cool completely before proceeding.

Drain the beans, reserving 2 Tbsp. liquid. Place all ingredients, including reserved bean liquid, in a food processor and process until well-blended but still thick. Complements crudites, pita triangles, toasts, and other appetizer foods; also makes a delicious sandwich spread. Black-eyed peas loooove spice, so try sauteing a chopped or sliced jalapeno with onions or garlic as a topping. Serves 6-8.


Beat the eggs. Whip the cream. Show no mercy.


6 comments:

Angie said...

what farmers market are you going to. I have been to maitland a few times, but the 1 guy selling produce there buys it from a packer. He doesn't even try to hide boxes, and their from all over! there's another guy in there but they are buying from a packing co. too. i thought a farmer's market was for farmers to bring things they grew or made, do I have a misunderstanding? oh great recipe!

The Chickenless Chick said...

Thanks for the kind words re. the recipe. I go to the Lake Eola farmers' market, which is the suckiest of them all; and yes, the same suppliers who sell me their own stuff from Lake Wales will also try to sell me Dole bananas with the stickers still on them. You just have to be careful. And yes, ideally, the point should be for farmers to sell things they grow or make. So sad no one is willing to be forthright, so you always have to ask the right questions!

Karine said...

This dip sounds delicious! Great idea to use black-eyed peas. They are so delicious!

Miranda said...

Hi there! I am from Orlando area too.
I live in Lake Mary!!
I go to the Volusia County Fair Grounds Farmers Market on Wed.
THere is 50 or more venders!!!!! It is huge and rocks!! It is right off I-4, so it is worth the drive.

Where do you live?

The Chickenless Chick said...

I live downtown, so I usually go to Lake Eola because it's within walking distance. But since it started dawning on me how lousy they are, I've been looking for other options. I've heard good things about Sanford, but it's a lot of gas to waste just for groceries. The Volusia County Fairgrounds is a good possibility, since the farm I volunteer on is out in Oak Hill, so I'd be going that way once or twice a week. Thanks very much for the suggestion. And thank you, Karine, for the compliments. I agree that black-eyed peas are delicious!

Unknown said...

I have renewed my love of eggplant because of our little Farmer's Market and the gal selling her's picks em' fresh from her garden the morning of the market. I almost cannot get enough of those purple little lovelies :)Thanks for the recipe - yet another excuse to go buy a bushel or two.