Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tiger Potatoes



They were going to be called "Zebra Potatoes" before I ran a Google search to see if anyone else had coined the term. Turns out "Zebra chip" is slang for a pathogen that makes potato chips come out all brown-streaked and weird looking. I opted not to willingly associate a potato-based side dish I'd made with a potato-attacking pathogen. Seemed like it would be both bad luck and a little gross.

You may have run across these Ze... ahem... Tiger Potatoes before. You may even have invented something similar yourself. They're very simple to make, and if anyone in your family prefers white potatoes to sweet, this is a great way to pump a few more vitamins into said heretic.

All you need are a russet potato, a sweet potato, and seasoning/garnish of choice to serve two.

Step #1

Peel your potatoes and cut wedges into the tops, leaving at least 1/4" of flesh in tact along the bottom. Reserve the wedges.


Step #2

Insert wedges into the potato of the opposite color as shown. If they don't quite fit, you can opt to trim them down or widen the crevices.


Step #3

Wrap each potato securely in a paper towel and place right-side-up in your microwave. Microwave on high for three minutes.

Step #4

Let cool a little bit before attempting to remove the paper towel, but don't wait too long or it will stick. Serve them up however you're inclined. I butterflied mine and added butter, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and a bit of fresh dill.


Have you ever made Tiger Potatoes? I imagine I'm not the first, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The only thing missing from mine was big dollops of sour cream. Wish I'd had some in the house.


Beat the eggs. Whip the cream. Show no mercy.


23 comments:

Drick said...

nope, never had such a thing...bet the two flavors are awesome with a buttery sauce....looks like a great dish for kids too...

jeroxie said...

The first I have heard and seen. I love it :D

singerinkitchen said...

Delicious! How creative and colorful.

Cooking Rookie said...

This is so cute :-)

Brie: Le Grand Fromage said...

very cool! i've never seen this before, but it looks like fun. i love finding new ways to enjoy my potatoes!

redkathy said...

SO colorful and yes I'd like to have one right about now please!

ceecee said...

I've mashed them together before but never baked them! looks great!

motherrimmy said...

You are so creative. I hope you submitted this to a cooking contest somewhere. Fantastic!

theUngourmet said...

These are so fun! You are a genius!! :)

BikeEatSleepRepeat said...

Wow! Love the presentation factor!

Tasty Trix said...

As an adult who loves to play with her food, I salute you!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Never had anything like these before, but what an awesome idea! They look so pretty!

MaryMoh said...

That's very creative!

Robin, David, Simon and Leo said...

Chickenless, Tigers and Bears, oh my... Never thought of it, but looks great. May even get the kids to eat a potato that isn't fried. I can dream, can't I?

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of these and I love the idea - how neat! My daughter would totally love these, can't wait to make these for her!

Kristin (KrisKishere) said...

That is quite possibly the coolest thing EVER! What a great idea!

Cajun Chef Ryan said...

Great presentation here with the two potatoes.

Regards,
CCR
=:~)

dokuzuncubulut said...

Beautiful presentation. What a pretty dish!

Unknown said...

mad scientist!
Looks super fun!

wasabi prime said...

Very fun! And this would be a great way to get kids to not only eat, but enjoy their veggies!

www.dhaleb.com said...

These are ADORABLE! Such a creative idea :)

Unknown said...

guess what I am making for dinner tonight!

Katie said...

Cute! Oh, and they look delicious, too. :)