Sunday, January 10, 2010

Pineapple Crisp With Lentil Cookie Topping



I admit it: I've led you astray. Turns out those lentil cookies I told you about don't store well at all. The lentils in mine dried out forty-eight hours after they left the oven, and I imagine that in drier climates (read: anywhere but Florida) their lifespan would be even shorter.

I advise that you either make these treats in small batches only or have some other use in mind. Since crisp topping is supposed to be crunchy anyway, I opted to crumble up my dried-out cookies, sprinkle them over a pan of juicy seasonal fruit, and bake. Dessert doesn't get any easier or tastier than this.


Pineapple Crisp

Ingredients

1 1/2 pineapples, cut into chunks
1 Tbsp. flour
8-10 lentil cookies, crumbled

Directions

Heat the oven to 375.

Mix the pineapple chunks and flour. Put them in a 10" pie pan (bet you're jealous of the adorable one that my mom got me for Christmas).


Bake the pineapple chunks on their own for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the cookie topping over. Bake until sufficiently browned on top, about 20-30 minutes more. If the topping browns too much before the pineapple is soft, cover with a sheet of foil for the remainder of the cooking time. Serves 6.


I attempted to make pineapple whipped cream, but it came out tasting an awful lot like regular whipped cream. In case you want to play around with the recipe, here it is. By all means, please contact me if you find a better way!


Pineapple Whipped Cream

Ingredients

3/4 c. heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp. pineapple juice
1 Tbsp. sugar

Directions

Whisk or beat all ingredients with an electric mixer until stiff. Makes about 1 1/2 c. whipped cream.



Beat the eggs. Whip the cream. Show no mercy.


Delicious
Bookmark this on Delicious

15 comments:

redkathy said...

That's what we get for being 70s ex-hippie types, we'll try anything new, once! Great recovery idea.

Brie: Le Grand Fromage said...

extra points for making an alternative recipe with them. this still looks yummy!

Mother Rimmy said...

I love that you didn't throw them out and found another way to use them. I can't tell you how many recipes I've had to make into something else. The crumble looks delish!

Mary Poppins in Heels said...

Great solution!

Tangled Noodle said...

Thanks for the follow-up! This crisp is a great back-up plan although a giant dollop of whipped on its own would probably soften the cookies up well enough. 8-)

Unknown said...

Excellent example of quick thinking in the kitchen! Cooking and baking should be put on CV's under "problem solving skills," because there's always something needing to be figured out when it comes to meals!

Cookin' Canuck said...

Great idea for your leftover cookies! Sometimes the best recipes arise from a mistake.

Shirley said...

Good alternative!
You know I've resolved never to post my first try till I'm sure of it, because I've blundered too many times. I like the way you found a delicious way out!

Unknown said...

people have left over cookies? I have 5 kids--we never have any extra cookies! Laundry--yes--cookies--no.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Awww, bummer about the lentil cookies! I still commend your inventiveness!

Robin, David, Simon and Leo said...

Saved from the brink. My solution -- eat in less than 48 hours. Not difficult to do in our dessert-obsessed house!

luvtocook said...

Nice save. It looks delicious. I know what I am making for desert tomorrow night.

Stacy said...

Way to get creative! Maybe boil down the pineapple juice to get it more concentrated for the whipped cream?

The Chickenless Chick said...

@Stacy... Thanks, great suggestion!

Anonymous said...

Excellent use for your leftover cookies! The pineapple crisp sounds delicious!