Saturday, January 9, 2010

Lentil Cookies



You probably get bombarded with lies on this subject every day: "Don't worry, it's healthy but you still feel satisfied." "Tastes just like the real thing!" "Your kids will never know the difference if you substitute spinach for sugar." But the fact is, most diet desserts suck. And they will ultimately lead to a breakdown during which you will shovel too many un-diet desserts into your deprived piehole at one sitting.

All that said, PLEASE GIVE THESE COOKIES A CHANCE.

I know they sound like the Valium-fueled concoction of a 1970s ex-hippie supermom, but THEY REALLY DO TASTE GOOD. And if you are among my many vegetarian readers, you're sure to appreciate the extra protein that comes from combining lentils with oatmeal.

I adapted this recipe from the one underneath the lid of the Quaker Oats canister. The original is called Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, a longtime favorite in my house. In addition to subbing lentils for 1/3 of the oats, I threw in some dried ginger and cloves, which I thought would complement the other flavors nicely and help disguise the lentils. And of course, you can use anything you'd like in place of the raisins. This time I went half and half with golden raisins and chocolate chips. On my list to try are dried apricot chunks, dried cranberries, dried blueberries, and candied ginger (preferably chocolate-covered).


Lentil Cookies

Ingredients

2 sticks butter (salted if desired), softened
1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. dried ginger
1/8 tsp. dried cloves
1/2 tsp salt
2 c. oats (I used Quaker)
1 c. cooked lentils
1/2 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. golden raisins


Directions

Heat the oven to 350.

Beat butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla in a mixing bowl.

Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt in a separate bowl, then incorporate this mixture into the wet ingredients.

Stir in oats and lentils.

Stir in chocolate chips and raisins.

Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 10-12 minutes at 350. Makes 4 dozen.



Beat the eggs. Whip the cream. Show no mercy.


22 comments:

The Real Dish said...

I most definitely will try these, thanks for the recipe! Lentils are a an excellent source of protein and iron - way to make a truly healthy cookie!

Robin, David, Simon and Leo said...

How did you come up with this idea? It's so crazy it sounds good. I've been interested lately in azuki beans which are featured so often in Asian desserts, so maybe now you're starting a new legume dessert craze. We'll definitely give them a try and see if they are "kid tested, mother approved". Great job!

BikeEatSleepRepeat said...

I agree with Vegetable Matter - it's so crazy, it sounds good! Since our batch of "Dynamic Duo" Cookies (Chocolate Chip/Potato Chip)is nearly gone, it's time to resupply. I don't have raisens, but I do have apricots.

The Chickenless Chick said...

@Vegetable Matter... Instead of a pantry, I have a plastic box that lives under my counter, and the oatmeal happened to be sitting next to the lentils when I looked down at it. How my brain got "Cookies!" out of that, I will never know.

pTsaldari said...

Just when I think I've seen it all... a chickenless maestro pleasantly surprises me. How creative and I would imagine a great deal of work went into your lentil cookies. Shall try them.
Thank you for sharing,
Cheers,
PT

Please visit my blog@http://ptsaldari.posterous.com

Shirley said...

Lindsay,
You are talking my language here. I love that you have experimented out of the box and most of all managed great looking cookies. I will try this and get back to you with my kids feedback.

Brie: Le Grand Fromage said...

very cool. i give you extra points for the lentils. i'll have to try this recipe next time i get a craving for oatmeal raisin cookies.

Carrie said...

very interesting to say the least. I wont be a culinary wuss so I must try them. :)

Shelly @ EC Pursuits said...

Never tried lentils in cookies before. I think it's just crazy enough to give it a try!

Solange said...

These are very interesting! I love lentils and why not to eat them in a cookie - I think trying things is always good. I must try these, it's so extraordinary!

Unknown said...

uh yeah they HAVE to taste good they have butter and sugar YUMMY!
Great idea using the lentils because it also adds more FIBAH to the treat!

redkathy said...

Creativity from an ex-hippie supermom, I can relate! Lentils are superb, with a nice, smooth flavor if you ask me. I see oatmeal and lentils together, and would definitely try these!

Belinda @zomppa said...

Wow - what a great way to include lentils and fiber!! Gonna need to share this one.

Liz Marr, MS, RD said...

Wow, great idea. Reminds me of brownies with beans. And you're trading one source of soluble fiber for another (oats to lentils). I bet they taste great! I'll have to try this with Grandma's oatmeal cookie recipe next time.

Mae said...

Ok, I first I thought I read "Lent Cookies"... but then I realized that seemed kind of counter-productive.

THIS is a much better idea - and one I think I'm going to play with :D

You're brilliant!

MaryMoh said...

I'm sure these cookies are very delicious. Love all the spices added...mmmm.

Miriam said...

Great idea! Pulses are always overlooked.

Tangled Noodle said...

Happy New Year! It would never had occurred to me to use lentils in cookies but why the hell not?! These look and sound great, especially with the ginger and cloves. I'm bookmarking!

penny aka jeroxie said...

Such a interesting cookie! I never thought lentils in a cookie.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Actually they sound pretty good! I've used copious amounts of black beans in brownies before, why not lentils in cookies?

Cheah said...

Haven't tasted lentil cookies before, but the pictures sure look tempting!

Mel said...

I looked the recipe over and decided that it sounded really good, but not very healthy. I made a few tweaks and the cookies turned out amazing!

I took away all the saturated fat in that amazing amount of butter and replaced it with a 1/2 cup of a canola and olive oil mix. Then I removed the large amount of sugar and replaced it with a 1/2 cup honey, which I melted. I only used half of the salt.

You have to use a fork to press them down before they bake, but they come out exceptionally yummy and actually healthy.

Guilt free cookie?