Monday, January 18, 2010

Kumquat Shortcake



Last night, friends treated my husband and me to a smashing roast chicken dinner (thanks again, Paul and Alice!) I volunteered to bring dessert. In recent weeks, I've had a hankering for something fruity and chile-influenced, which led me to poach these kumquats with a poblano pepper and serve them over a Sara Lee pound cake.

Oh, all right, you caught me.

The Sara Lee pound cake was a last-minute save. Anti-corporate control freak that I am, I made a batch of biscuits; but for some reason they came out tasting like bitterness incarnate. Will have to play around with that recipe for a bit and post it at a later date.

These kumquats, on the other hand, are to die for. Their tart-and-sweet flavor meshed excellently with the cinnamon, cloves, and chile.

Poached Kumquats With Poblano

Ingredients

2 pints kumquats
1/2 a poblano pepper
2 c. water
2/3 c. orange blossom honey
2/3 c. granulated sugar
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves


Directions

Heat your broiler to the highest setting. Meanwhile, cut the kumquats into thirds horizontally (yes, you have to de-seed them, which is a pain; but it's not necessary to peel them.)

Place the pepper skin-side-up on an oiled baking sheet. Broil about five minutes, or until the skin is wrinkly and partially black on top. Remove and let cool. Peel off the skin.

Combine the water, honey, sugar, cinnamon, and cloves in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the kumquats and poblano, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 20 minutes.


Remove the pan from the heat and let cool. Fish out the poblano, drain so that the poaching liquid runs back into the pan, and chop. Store the chopped poblano in a small container with a couple spoonfuls of poaching liquid to cover. Store the kumquats separately in the rest of the liquid. To serve, spoon the kumquats over any of the following (or something else that I haven't thought of):

Ice Cream
Cake
Biscuits
Sweet Cornbread
Corn Pudding
Bread Pudding
Fruit Salad
Pancakes
Crepes
Waffles
Cookies

Garnish with the chopped poblano. (Optional: Beat 2 Tbsp. of poaching liquid from the kumquats with 1 c. heavy whipping cream.) Serves 4-5.



Beat the eggs. Whip the cream. Show no mercy.


Delicious
Bookmark this on Delicious

10 comments:

Robin, David, Simon and Leo said...

Sara Lee is still the standard by which all poundcakes are measured. Don't sweat it. Your topping looks great!

Anonymous said...

I love the addition of poblano to the kumquats. I usually save my poblanos for roasting and slicing into salads :)

ps: the bitterness incarnate from your biscuits was probably from too much baking powder.

Sook said...

I'm so glad you posted this recipe! I've seen kumquats around lately and had no idea what to do with them. This shortcake looks beautiful!

Unknown said...

Kumquats are one of those funky ingredients that I never know what to do with, so this is a helpful intro for using them. I often keep a poundcake in the freezer. I know that would seem like some hidden sickness, but they really are great for a dessert hail mary. I always keep a package of puff pastry in the freezer as well!

Stacy said...

Looks so yummy! I heart kumquats!

penny aka jeroxie said...

I need to get a supply of kumquats here.... this looks delish!

Cocina Savant said...

ooh this sounds tasty, my inlaws (Daniel's parents) have a kumquat tree that has cross bread satsuma tree it seems and produces some of the sweetest kumquats. She's sending us some this week hopefully and this may be what we have to try them with!!! Thanks!

Drick said...

the sweet-heat must be a remarkable combination - there are so many good things to do with kumquats and this sounds likd a great addition

Rachel J said...

I want to have a bake sale with you so we can eat each other's baked goods! ^_^

The Chickenless Chick said...

Oh boy, Central Florida Food Bloggers Bake Sale! I'm so there!!