Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Chicken Thighs Stewed With Radish and Arugula



I have often wondered what stewed radish would taste like. A couple days before Christmas, I finally got around to it. Looking back, this recipe probably would have tasted better with white meat, but dark did the job.

Actually, "did the job" may not be the right phrase. My husband flipped out and said it was one of his favorite dishes I've ever made.

Now before you go adding radishes and arugula to all your stews, I doubt I have them to thank for the meal's success. Neither one tasted like much once it had been simmering for awhile. More likely I owe a debt of gratitude to my old humble friend garlic. I used more than my usual 2-3 cloves, which is something I'd definitely do again.

Chicken Thighs Stewed With Radish and Arugula

Ingredients

4 chicken thighs with skin
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, sliced thin or diced large
1 c. radishes, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
5 cloves garlic, sliced thin
Splash Balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. fresh mixed herbs (I used flat-leaf parsley and oregano, but any herbs you might associate with traditional Southern Italian cuisine would do the trick)
2 tsp. dried mix herbs (I used marjoram, thyme, and more oregano... note that you can use more fresh herbs here instead; I just ran out)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 c. diced canned/packaged tomatoes (say it with me... "If you don't can your own, I recommend Pomi")
2 c. chicken broth
2 c. well-packed arugula
1 Tbsp. lemon juice


Directions

Season the meat with salt and pepper. Loosen the skin and get underneath if you can do this without ripping it.

Heat the olive oil in a stew pot over medium. Brown the chicken thighs for 10-12 minutes on the skin side; 5 minutes on the skinless side. Remove the chicken from the pot and place it in a covered dish. Alternatively, plate it and cover it with another plate to trap the heat. (Optional: Bellow, "Bwah-ha-ha-ha, heat, there's no escape for you now!")

Add the onion, radishes, carrot, and garlic to the pot and saute for 4-5 minutes. Splash on the vinegar and deglaze the pan. Add the herbs, salt, and pepper and continue sauteing until the onion is completely limp and translucent.

Arrange the chicken thighs over the veggies in the pot.

In a separate saucepan, combine the tomatoes and the broth. Stir well, then pour the mixture over the chicken and veggies. Bring the contents of the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 45 minutes.

Remove cover and add arugula and lemon juice. Push the arugula down into the liquid-filled spaces between the chicken using a long utensil such as a wooden spoon or a spatula. Re-cover and simmer 15 minutes more. Distribute the chicken pieces among four serving bowls and ladle the liquid over. Optional: Put bread, rice, or mashed potatoes in the bottoms of the bowls; or prepare a warm bread basket to pass around. Serves 4.


Beat the eggs. Whip the cream. Show no mercy.


6 comments:

kathy gori said...

i cook with radish, actually cook radishes as a vegatable. this looks good. i have both radishes and arugula in the fridge . after i'm done with the goat, if i try this i'll let you know because if i do,for sure i'll be trying it with white meat

kathy gori said...

god, i misspelled vegetable..yikes!

Jhonny walker said...

Hi

I did not ever cook with radishes...but you are right...with trusted friend Garlic...I would totally do this one...especially after it looks so awesome :)

penny aka jeroxie said...

I have to keep this for winter! YUM...

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Never underestimate the power of garlic! I have read snippets about how the French think Americans use too much garlic...I say, who cares? It's delicious!

Cocina Savant said...

wow, this looks tasty. i just reading your posts, and am glad i caught this one sorting back through our inbox, it looks delicious, i'll have to pick up some radishes & plenty of garlic this weekend :)